1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

boy or girl? help please (video link included)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by boosterpacksmom, May 18, 2016.

1. boosterpacksmom

boosterpacksmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Indiana
    i'm a noob and need help telling if my ducks are boys or girls. here's a video of one of them. you can kind of hear the other in the background but i'll post a video of him (or her) later. any and all help appreciated greatly

2. boosterpacksmom

Apr 24, 2016
    Indiana
    hopefully one of those works

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sounds girlish to me.

4. Ghibli

Ghibli Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    Gold Coast, Australia
    They both sound for sure like girls to me. Boys are much quieter and they don't make quacks like that, it's all quiet raspy noises.

5. boosterpacksmom

Apr 24, 2016
    Indiana
    Thank you. I thought so and a video just got bumped up too. But they confuse me because their tails look like they are curling up which I thought meant boy. They are still young though between 8-9 weeks I believe. Depending how long they sat at TSC before I bought them. Could be slightly older

6. Ghibli

Ghibli Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Drake feathers are usually just a few that curl up, if it's the whole tail I don't think that means anything?
    [​IMG]
    You can see my drake's tail feathers in the middle there. That's from before he got his full adult feathering. 7-8 weeks old I believe. But to my knowledge it varies a lot when they grow in.
    [​IMG]
    Again in the middle of the picture, so now that he's older he has two and they're curlier. About 22 weeks.
    You can probably find clearer pictures, those are just the best I have on hand. I hope that helps!

7. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    First video is a girl for sure. Absolutely 100% certain it's a girl. Couldn't load the second one.

8. boosterpacksmom

Apr 24, 2016
    Indiana
    It's the same video I was just having problems with the links last night. Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by