Boy or Girl? I am thinking boys....

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by skylarms, Sep 13, 2011.

1. skylarms

skylarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    So I was convinced that I had a boy Bronze and girl red bourbon for this years chicks. I am now convinced I have two boys. What do you think? My dad got them for the kids as pets, but Im not thinking two boys are going to get along much longer! The hatched May 15th.
    http://s454.photobucket.com/albums/qq269/skylarms/Tukeys/

2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Sure looks like two boys. Bourbon reds males have black-edged feathers after about 3 months, while the hens have white edges. Yours look black-edged.

BTW, [​IMG]

3. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Quote:x2 on the opinion and on the welcome!

Even if they are both boys, that doesn't mean they can't get along. Mine do fight in the spring, then things get pretty calm. I have three toms in with 5 hens, I don't know if they'll even fight much if there aren't any hens to fight over.

4. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    Thanks everyone! My plan on getting a few chickens changed when my father came from NY to stay for the summer. He came home with 12 chickens, two turkeys and three ducks. One huge and expensive coop/run later, we have great flock. Our Bronze is getting HUGE. Those photos where 3 weeks ago. Im not quite sure what to do with him (well other than serve him him, but not sure I can eat him since he has been such a pet). I also have a speckled sussex who was my lone boy out of our chick batch. He really is gorgeous and friendly, however, our ideas of a wake-up time are not the same. So, if anyone in WA is looking for any roosters let me know [​IMG] On the up side, I guess the name Steve (what the kids call the bourbon) is a bit more fitting now!

5. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Quote:You might want to post pics of the Bronze as he looks now... if he is a BB, you probably would be better of having him for dinner. They get huge and can be prone to leg problems and short lives. Or you can just catch him and feel his breast area, you should be able to tell if he is double breasted.

6. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    Also, I know very little about turkeys. Chickens and ducks, well, that I can handle! Any advice from experienced turkey owners?

7. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    Well, I well go "fondle" him:) Luckily he is annoyingly friendly and wont mind. He is VERY wide upfront. Oddly wide to me. He is almost as wide as his body is long. He was listed strictly as "Bronze" from the farm he came from, although I thought I hear mention of Heritage bronze. (like I said- chickens I know. Turkeys- not so much) I have read about them getting so big they need a mercy killing. So far, he runs and frolics like everyone else, except he runs like he has egg beaters for legs. Thanks again!

8. robyn1976

robyn1976 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    Doylestown
    i have had to male turkeys and it was not a problem

9. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I would call the farm and ask... If they breed their turkeys there, I tend to think there is a good chance that he is heritage. In most cases the BB type have to be artificially inseminated because the toms are too massive to do the deed themselves. But if they have a BB hen, they could have bred her to a heritage tom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by