Boy or Girl Mallard?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ksmith, May 15, 2011.

1. ksmith

ksmith Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    I asked for two females at the feed store, but i think I might have a male and a female. The one that I think is a male has a sort of yellowed beak, but the same coloring of the feathers as the other one. Also, the one I think is a male is starting to quack. They are 4 weeks old. I would post a picture, but my internet is sooo slow! thank you!

2. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    You really can't tell by colors at 4 weeks, even though males tend to get yellow bills, that really doesn't happen until much later. If the one you think is male is quacking, it's a female. Males have more of a hissy, raspy sound than a quack. Though it's possible if someone sexed them by vent sexing that they missed a male, if it's quacking it's probably a girl.

3. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
  4. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I bought 4 mallards at TSC and turns out there are 3 males and 1 female. The female quacked early and the males are more raspy sounding. Also, if you look at their heads in the light you may notice a green sheen on the males head.

Here's a picture of mine at 5 weeks.
    [​IMG]

5. ksmith

ksmith Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Quote:oh yes, I can tell that the last 3 have a green tint to their head. I think my mallards are closer to 5 weeks old (But I have had them for 4 weeks), because they look exactly like yours. Very cute duckies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by