boy or girl orpington?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amyandkids, Dec 19, 2013.

1. amyandkids

amyandkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ok guys you can laugh if need be but can y'all tell me if this is a roo or pullet, please? I have had chickens for a while and I breed them, usually by 3 weeks I know boys from girls, no problem!! BUT these are my first orpingtons and the one that grew a comb at 3 weeks and was larger and feathered out slow I knew was a male, but now I think its a female cause she don't have no long saddle feathers or boyish neck feathers!! oh she or he is 29 weeks old and no eggs or crowing yet!

2. BarredRocks3

BarredRocks3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    That's a pullet

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Okay I'll laugh-[​IMG]. There, I got the giggles out of my system. At 29 weeks I'd call that a pullet near the point of lay. I can see where you are confused as she is what I call a manly hen. Large, robust and possibly acting like the boss hen.

Unfortunately all the rest of them are cockerels.

JUST KIDDING!

4. amyandkids

Apr 18, 2013
    [​IMG]You had me laughing so hard thank you!! My DH is shaking his head at me he said she was a she but he is always wrong, that's y I didn't believe him!! see I got 3 orps, 2 are still soooo small, and they don't like the camera so I couldn't get a pic with them all together! Yes she acts like a roo puffin up her neck feathers and jumping at everyone! HAHAHAHA [​IMG], I think its too funny I got a bit confused about her! her name is officially Bailey!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pretty pullet. [​IMG]

6. Chook-Girl

Chook-Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    Pullet.

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes...all hen...and don't laugh at yourself...some birds simply have to crow or lay an egg. We've all been surprised. (I gave away a mutt pullet to my daughter thinking she was a roo as the bird had developed so fast...then she laid at 13 weeks [​IMG] )

And some breeds are notorious for being ambiguous....BO's being one of them as the males and females can take on this androgynous look. For me, some Barred Rocks can do that too until the males finally get the saddle and cascade at the tail. (I know, they are supposed to be so clear to the eye with the double barring...but NOT all of them are that clear).

I also find it is easier to sex the other guy's chickens than your own, somehow. [​IMG]

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Amen to that!

I had a big ol red EE rooster that I thought was a hen until he crowed. At that point I looked at him and said "Holy crap, Betty's a rooster!" Looking back it was terribly obvious, I just never really "saw" him.
    I also had a mixed breed chick that had some coloring that made me think roo at 2ish months. I didn't really "look" at the bird again until 5-6 months and realized I had a beautiful pullet!

Seeing the bird every day makes it harder, I think.

9. amyandkids

Apr 18, 2013
    thank all of you for the replies! im happy its a pullet her and cleatus my jersey giant roo will make the cutest babies ever![​IMG][​IMG]

10. sandovaljose214

sandovaljose214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2013
    pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by