boy or girl? *updated with video/new sounds*

mydog8it

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Does anyone have an opinion on the sex of this guinea? It's about 10-12 weeks old. The only noise I've heard it make is the cute twirly cooo and the jackhammering chi-chi-chi.

63069_kevin1.jpg

63069_kevin2.jpg

Last edited:

cracking up

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
So Cal
First thought by the picture was male and then I first read cooo as coco and thought it was the two syllable sound of a girl but if it's a single syllable cooo then I'm sticking with male.
Either way it's a good looking guinea!

mydog8it

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Awesome - thank you! The coo is like a soft trill-type whistle, almost like a purr - it's not either of the sounds the boys or girls are supposed to make so it had me stumped.

So, I have another question. He started picking on the chickens a couple of weeks ago, pecking and chasing them. I tried separating him from the chickens for about 2 weeks, then put them back together hoping he would fall down the bottom of the pecking order, but no luck. He just won't stop chasing and pecking them & they're all terrified of him. Is there a way to fix this behavior or is that just what boys do?

bemba

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Mary Valley QLD.
I have 2 boys that do the same thing, and now they have started on the ducks! I do love them but I seriously am thinking of rehoming them, and just having an all female flock of guineas.

Top Bottom