1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Boy or girl welsh harlequins??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iskris, Jul 9, 2016.

1. iskris

iskris New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Canada
    Hi all, first time duck owner! Just wondering if any can tell if these are boys for girls?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    By the jungle
    I’m not sure if you can tell this young with Appleyards. Eventually the females will quack and the males will make a rasping noise, and the males will also have curled feathers on their tail. But unless voice differences are discernible this early (not sure as I only have Muscovies), I don’t think you can tell.

3. ElleenLee

ElleenLee Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2015
    North east England
    It's really hard to tell at this age, we were sure that one of ours was a female for weeks and it turned out to be a male.

4. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

By looks I'm not sure, But one way to tell is Boys will get a whispery voice when they get older while girls actually quack.

5. gal5150

gal5150 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    These are WH's, yes? Did you get them as hatchlings? If you have any pics within the first 3 days of hatch we could make decent guesses. They can be sexed by bill color with 70-90% accuracy after hatch but that window is small. Boys have darker bills, girls are lighter with a dark tip.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  6. iskris

iskris New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Canada
    Hi all, may be late, but I ended up having two girls and three boys. Thanks for you help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by