Boy or girl? Who's it's Mama? My first hatch with my first broody hen from my first flock.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dbennett, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Dbennett

Dbennett Out Of The Brooder

This is our first offspring. My rooster is (supposedly) Black Australorp. My three hens are: Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpington, and Buff Brahma. My Brahma was my broody; so I'm fairly sure she isn't the biological mama. She had been broody for at least a month before I left her one egg.

Assuming, by the polka-dots that the Speckled Sussex is bio mom. The rooster is gi-normous. The only one I have EVER seen as large as him was a Jersey Giant.

This "chic" is 10 weeks old. Should I expect crowing soon or eggs.

[​IMG]

2. TheJadeChicken

TheJadeChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Thinking more a rooster. They "chick" has some large legs. But I don't see any Hackle or Saddle Feathers yet. Got any pictures of Daddy and the 3 hens? Do you remember what color egg it came from?

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yeah it's a boy. The colored feathers coming out on his neck and by tail are roo coloring coming out. He will get more of that color on back, neck and wings. That sort of color pattern is very typical of a black chicken bred to any colored chicken... can't guess mother based on that, it'd be equal for orp or sussex. The only thing I can think of is the body shape seems to be more slender... if your sussex has a longer narrower body than the orp, that may be a clue.

1 person likes this.
  4. ChickenGrit

ChickenGrit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2012
    Crockett, VA
    Looking like a boy. I also have black Australorp (supposedly) pullets and they are 4 months old and their combs and waddles are not this big compaired to their face.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a rooster. He's a pretty boy!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd say that he's a rooster. I think that the Sussex was the mother. Orpingtons are a little fluffier, and his body shape looks more like a Sussex.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a male.

My understanding is the speckling is recessive, so I don't think that's a good clue for momma. I've got a few black hens with random white feathers that have popped up.

8. Dbennett

Here's Daddy. Isn't anyone going to give me hope for a hen?

[​IMG]

9. Dbennett

And, he came from a brown egg. All my hens lay brown eggs. Hardly tell the difference.

10. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Lil roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by