Boy or Girl Wing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WriterofWords, May 3, 2011.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I know,, good luck with that right? But is it the boys or the girls that get the long feathers on the wing tips right away. This chick is 2 weeks old and is one of mine that hatched in El Paso and we are trying to figure out if it is a he or she.
    [​IMG]

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    The breeder flock for the female line must be slow feathering only, and the breeder flock for the male line must be fast feathering only. To breed for the chicks you would then cross the slow feathering females with the fast feathering males.

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Ok,,, so would that make this a boy or girl?

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Only time will tell,if its been bred for feather sexing you could tell usally within days of hatching 2 weeks on its kinda to late.

5. somewhere

somewhere New Egg

May 3, 2011
    What breed of chicken?

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    It's a mutt from my flock, it has a huge Grey Barred Cochin mommy and really big red roo daddy but came out black!

7. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    With those parents it should be colour sexable then(barred henXred rooster = black sexlinks). if the chick is black with a white dot on the head its a roo and if its black without the dot its a hen. That parentage will not create feather sexable chicks tho, so can't go by the wings.

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    It's solid black. How does the dot on the head indicate a roo? Now my curiosity is taking over and I'm going to obsess about research!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by