Boy or Girl Wyandotte- comb development at 3 weeks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Yaychicks, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Yaychicks

Yaychicks Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    These silver laced wyandotte's are almost 3 weeks (which is WAY early, I know). I'm not terribly familiar with them, so I thought I'd get some opinions.

I realize they are supposed to have a rose comb, but this one has me quite worried. These are hatchery (we live near Ideal), and the feed store still has some from this batch, and I'd rather cull and grab another if there is a good chance it's a he.

They are getting in most of the flight feathers, but no other feather development yet. Comments?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Way too young to tell. Wyandotte occasionally have a single comb like yours does. Wyandotte can be tricky to sex by the comb as pullets get pink in theirs pretty early too. Rooster will feather out a bit differently than the pullets but you usually have to wait until they are 2-3 months before you can tell reliably. So I wouldn't be quick to cull.

3. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    I had a straight comb Wyandotte before. I would've bet my house on it being a rooster as it grew up because that comb seemed to grow so fast. As it turns out it was a hen who gave me lots of eggs before she was claimed by a fox.

Sadly I think you'll just have to wait it out. Fingers crossed it's a pullet!

4. Yaychicks

Yaychicks Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    Ok thanks! I'll just sit on "her" for the time being :). She's just a pet/eggs chicken (we only have 4, prob won't get more), so the comb isn't a big deal to us. I'm used to broilers, and we don't bother sexing them!

5. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    I went back through my old photos and found a picture of my single combed slw when she was 4 weeks. Maybe these will you you out a little. [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by