1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by I hrt my dogs, Oct 13, 2015.

1. I hrt my dogs

I hrt my dogs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2015
    South Carolina
    Good morning I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on this one. I bought 3 "pullets" and 2 are crowing and definately roosters.I am not sure of this one. She/ he is so gentle and friendly. An approx 13 week supposed Easter Egger. Please tell me what you think. I am brand new to having chickens and really pretty clueless. Thank you[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    I'd say female for sure, her saddle feathers look very rounded - saddle feathers are the ones on the lower back/base of the tail, in roosters they are pointy and in hens they are rounded. [​IMG]

3. BuffaloridaGirl

BuffaloridaGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Those legs look pretty skinny... And the tail stands more erect. I say it's a pullet. Sorry you got stuck with some Roos! I just posted my he or she pics on "Easter egger sexing tips/tricks". Take a peek at some of those pictures that others have shared and the feedback. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is the one I suspect is a Roo. Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  4. I hrt my dogs

Oct 5, 2015
    South Carolina
    Oh, thank you so much. I was reading a lot about feathers and get more confused the more I read. Thank you for your help. I really hope she is a she. I can't have roosters and I really don't want to give her up. [​IMG]

5. Cockatrice6420

Cockatrice6420 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say that looks like a pretty little girl, but if you have two roos as well, you'll have to be getting alot more girls, or pick a boy to keep.

6. BuffaloridaGirl

BuffaloridaGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Totally agree. Even though mine is much younger, you can see the feathers on the 13 week old are rounder. Looks like you can expect some blue eggs in about 11-12 weeks!! Here's a tip: I got my girls to start laying by placing golf balls where I wanted them to lay. Worked within hours!! Once you start hearing her egg calls you will know she is ready (your neighbors will too!!)

7. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

Pullet.

8. I hrt my dogs

Oct 5, 2015
    South Carolina
    Thank you so much everyone. I feel so much better. I have been having that nagging feeling every morning afraid to here crowing but so far so good. Now I have to look up noises when they lay eggs lol. Thank you for the welcome and all your help. I will definitely put golf balls in the coop part of their pen. I had know idea having chickens can be this confusing.

9. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Found this pic on google that shows male vs female feathering, it's not mine but is might be helpful, maybe ignore all the words or it might get confusing...

[​IMG]

10. I hrt my dogs

Oct 5, 2015
    South Carolina
    Thank you. I can definitely see the difference in the feathers from the diagram. I am going to keep this to. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by