Boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mahermic, Jul 11, 2016.

1. mahermic

mahermic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    I got several barred rock chicks from Agway that were supposed to be all girls. This one is completely different and I think it is a boy. This bird is 22 weeks old. This bird hasn't crowed or even given any signs of crowing. Please give me your thoughts[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. ambabya

ambabya Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Looks like a roo to me.

3. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Cockerel all the way. My rooster is doing same thing. He is 16 weeks and no crow. What causes this?
    -Liv

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Some boys can take over 8 months to start crowing. Be patient, and consider yourself lucky that he hasn't found his voice yet.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Don't jinx him - a silent rooster is the greatest treasure

1 person likes this.
  6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Worth a million bucks, right!

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Oh man, I'm with Diva..don't jinx him..he has no idea what he has there. No crowing? Wish I could find one like that for where I am. :)

8. mahermic

mahermic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts! This is my first time raising chickens. He was always lighter in color than the rest of the rocks and I was so excited at the time how different " she" was and wondered why "she" was so much prettier than the rest.. it didn't even dawn on me that it could be a rooster because I was told that they were all sexed and were all girls. The chicks I was told were all vaccinated too for Mereks but that too was not so. I have Mereks in my flock and have lost several birds to that. It has been a very rough start to my chicken raising. Despite educating myself and investing in all of the state of the art chicken fencing, shed, cleaning protocol I am still learning a lot! Thank goodness for this great website!

9. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh no...sorry you are having to deal with this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by