Boy or girl?

dairymomma

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2015
Is this a hen or a rooster? It's from a supposedly pullet only batch of Americauna chicks I got from our local fleet store at the end of April so s/he's about 3 months old. The neck and saddle feathers are slightly pointed at the ends and the tail feathers droop far more than any other hen in the coop. S/he tends to be one of the top birds in the pecking order and is noticably bigger (though not hugely so) than the other hens of this breed. However, his/her comb is not very big and there's been no crowing to be heard thus far. S/he is just different enough from the other hens to make me wonder if someone oopsied and I got a roo on accident. We're keeping the chicken either way. I'm just curious if this is all just in my head.

dairymomma

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2015
Oh good! I wasn't able to get a rooster when I ordered my chicks so I got a bunch of Barred Rock straight run chicks in hopes of getting at least one boy. Unfortunately, all of them are looking like hens so I'm happy to hear that I do indeed have a rooster after all. And an Easter Egger at that. It's a happy accident in my opinion. :)

Top Bottom