Boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dairymomma, Jul 28, 2016.

1. dairymomma

dairymomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2015
    Is this a hen or a rooster? It's from a supposedly pullet only batch of Americauna chicks I got from our local fleet store at the end of April so s/he's about 3 months old. The neck and saddle feathers are slightly pointed at the ends and the tail feathers droop far more than any other hen in the coop. S/he tends to be one of the top birds in the pecking order and is noticably bigger (though not hugely so) than the other hens of this breed. However, his/her comb is not very big and there's been no crowing to be heard thus far. S/he is just different enough from the other hens to make me wonder if someone oopsied and I got a roo on accident. We're keeping the chicken either way. I'm just curious if this is all just in my head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

That is an Easter Egger cockerel.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

4. dairymomma

dairymomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2015
    Oh good! I wasn't able to get a rooster when I ordered my chicks so I got a bunch of Barred Rock straight run chicks in hopes of getting at least one boy. Unfortunately, all of them are looking like hens so I'm happy to hear that I do indeed have a rooster after all. And an Easter Egger at that. It's a happy accident in my opinion. :)

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by