1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by denanner13, May 26, 2010.

1. denanner13

denanner13 In the Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Griffin, GA
    Out of 6 RIR babies (6 weeks old) I have 2 obvious pullets & 3 obvious roos. Poor little "Hermie" has a bigger comb than the pullets, but under-developed wattles. Is there any other way to determine sex at this point? What else should I look for? Thanks!

2. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    When I had RIRs I could tell by how quickly they feathered out. The girls feathered much faster -- how does Hermie compare?

3. denanner13

denanner13 In the Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Griffin, GA
    They seemed to feather out about the same to me. Hermie is my "runt", so that may be part of the reason I can't tell yet.

4. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    hmmm...well, please post a picture if you are able

5. chickmeister

chickmeister In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I am in the same boat with an 8 week old RIR. Mine developed wattles and a comb faster (and they are much more red) than my for-sure pullets. S/he doesn't have any spurs yet, which is something I am looking for before I give up on her/him. I would suggest you watch for spurs and listen for crowing since that was the advice I received on the same subject.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by