Boy Or Girl ?????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by charbel, May 18, 2011.

1. charbel

charbel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Hey My Chicks Hatched A Week Ago They R In Gd Health I Tried To Know Which One Is Gonna Be A Hen Or A Rooster I Wish A Can Tell Which One Is A Rooster And Which One Is A Hen Thx For Any Help

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Posting a picture would help. At only a week old it will probably be impossible to tell though unless the chicks are sex linked.

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    [​IMG] Welcome to BackYard Chickens charbel! [​IMG]

At this age - It is very hard if not impossible to tell the sex, unless you have sexlinks.

You could try vent sexing, but you have to know what your doing or you could

seriously injure the chick. Try getting somone who has experience with vent sexing

to help you - if you can. When they are less than 24 hours old, you could feather sex

them. They are born with 'pins' in their wings. Basically the feather shaft, but no feathers.

Because the female usually gets the feathers faster, theres often already a start of the

soft feather coming in on top of the 'pin'. Males only have pins - no feathers starting.

Once again, this has to be done with-in the first 24 hours after hatching, and it's not

a definate way of telling the sex. Once they get old enough, you can usually tell by the

size and color of the comb. Birds with bigger more brightly colored red combs are usually

male, and the birds with smaller paler combs are usually female. What kind of birds do

you have? You can somtimes tell by behavior, but again this is somthing you have to

wait until they get old enough with. Posting pictures would really help. [​IMG]

~ Scissor

Last edited: May 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by