1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Boy or Girl?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sherry, May 27, 2007.

1. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    He/she is appox. 9 weeks old. Americauna I'm thinking. Tail is different, curls toward the back instead of away from.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you!

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I have 12 week old Americauna's pullets and none of them have combs. It might be that they are a different kind as they look more like a hawk.
    [​IMG]

I hope the picture helps - remember I could be wrong too.

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  3. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Neither my EE nor Ameraucana pullets had rosy-pink combs at 9 weeks. IMO, you have a cockerel, probably an EE.
    Stephanie

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  4. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I was afraid of that, especially since he crowed the other morning. I didn't include that nugget of info so as not to influence one way or the other. [​IMG]
    Thank you!

5. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Your cockerel's feathering at the neck and wing are patchy looking too, he will be wearing his male plumage shortly. He is handsome. He reminds me of the 4 cockerels one of my hens hatched from and EE roo & pure-bred Silver Ameraucana hen cross. They sure were feisty and handsome little fellas.
    Stephanie

6. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Guess that narrows it down to what Daddy is getting for Father's Day! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by