Boy, or Girl?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by terjul, Dec 9, 2013.

1. terjul

terjul Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    We're not sure if our two 8 week old GLW's are pullets. The first one Scarlett, has no comb yet, but her waddles are coming in and Savannah, the second one, has a pinkish comb and her waddles are coming in as well. I'm holding my breath that they're both girls, because we can't have roos where we live.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks so much for your input. We appreciate any thoughts on their gender, so we know if we have to rehome. :-(

2. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut

Could you post photos of close ups of their faces from the front? Those are huge for 8 weekers though. Thanks :D

3. terjul

Apr 4, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the only closeups I have right now. Not sure if they help.

4. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    I say both are girls, boys would already be showing a much pinker comb than what yours are showing. It would be helpful to see them stand on their own to be able to see body shape and legs.

5. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    -look like girls to me.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They both look like pullets to me.

The second bird has a straight comb, technically a "wrong" thing for a Wyandotte, and so her comb will always look larger than the first bird's. It can make things confusing for new chicken folks, how the different types of combs look as they mature. If you get nervous in the future, feel free to post pics again, just to double check.

7. terjul

Apr 4, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    Thanks everyone, this helps. The only breed I've ever had is RR's and Plymouth Rocks, so this is all new to me. :)

8. IloveBuffy

IloveBuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2013
    Could you show a picture of their necks and tails? That's how I tell with my chickens. (Poor Sugarplum, he has a girl name)

9. IloveBuffy

IloveBuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2013
    P.S. Sugarplum's my sister's cockerel

10. terjul

Apr 4, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    Thanks so much for your reply. This post was started several months ago and they're definitely girls and just started laying this week!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by