boy or girl ?

niachicky

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 18, 2014
uk
Hello just wonderd what eveyones thoughts are, on the sex of my new chick? It was brought up from day old by our broody hen. It is now 6.5 weeks old and a jublie opington (bantum) any advice would be great fully received. Thanks in advance. X

Not for quite a few weeks yet. It depends on a number of factors like how quick he is to develop and if you have another cockerel already, which seems to suppress their crowing a bit. Mine are 18weeks and have only been crowing for about 2 and not very loadly, but then I keep them with their dad so perhaps they are not confident enough to compete with him. I am pretty sure one or 2 of the shyer ones still haven't found their voice yet.
I suppose they could start at 13 or 14 weeks but it is unlikely to be very loud or persistent at that age. My hens make more noise with their egg song than the lads ever do.

It is definitely a rooster. The age of crowing varies with each individual bird. Rarely, cockerels crow at only 3-4 weeks of age. Most commonly, they first crow at 8-10 weeks of age. A few are very slow at maturing, and only crow when they are 5 months old or more.

That's a cockerel.

He'll probably start crowing before he is 20 weeks old. Some start as early as 6-8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom