1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

boy or girl ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by niachicky, Oct 17, 2014.

1. niachicky

niachicky New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    uk
    Hello just wonderd what eveyones thoughts are, on the sex of my new chick? It was brought up from day old by our broody hen. It is now 6.5 weeks old and a jublie opington (bantum) any advice would be great fully received. Thanks in advance. X [​IMG]

2. niachicky

niachicky New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    uk
    [​IMG][/IMG]

3. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    I'm going to say roo. At that age a pullet should not have that red comb and droopy waddles.

1 person likes this.
  4. bekahubbell

bekahubbell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2014
    Alpine, CA
    X2
    He's very cute

1 person likes this.
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X3 on that.

1 person likes this.
  6. niachicky

niachicky New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    uk
    Yes thats what I was dreading. =( thanks for taking the time to reply xx

7. niachicky

niachicky New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    uk
    Any ideas on when he will start crowing??

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Not for quite a few weeks yet. It depends on a number of factors like how quick he is to develop and if you have another cockerel already, which seems to suppress their crowing a bit. Mine are 18weeks and have only been crowing for about 2 and not very loadly, but then I keep them with their dad so perhaps they are not confident enough to compete with him. I am pretty sure one or 2 of the shyer ones still haven't found their voice yet.
    I suppose they could start at 13 or 14 weeks but it is unlikely to be very loud or persistent at that age. My hens make more noise with their egg song than the lads ever do.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is definitely a rooster. The age of crowing varies with each individual bird. Rarely, cockerels crow at only 3-4 weeks of age. Most commonly, they first crow at 8-10 weeks of age. A few are very slow at maturing, and only crow when they are 5 months old or more.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That's a cockerel.

He'll probably start crowing before he is 20 weeks old. Some start as early as 6-8 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by