Boy or Girl?

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
I'm going to call him a he since I think that is what he is but I need to be sure before I try to caponize him. He is a mix of Crested Polish and EE, I think. I know his father is CP but there is the possibility that his mother was a Salmon Favorolle. I don't think she was, he only has 4 toes. He is about 4.5 -5 months old and he doesn't crow. At least not yet.

I just attended the caponing class this past weekend and I have several boys that look like roosters so I don't have to question about them but I have a bunch like this guy, some this color and some black. There are even some with a darker shade of grey head and black bodies.

I'm really not seeing much that says male, don't see male saddle feathers coming in in the pictures and it doesn't have much comb development for a 4-5 month old male.

Well, like I said I have several of them and I don't want to be cutting into them if they are girls. I have been going by others about the same age that have more of a comb. More like this:

That knob on his beak, toward the front is my finger. LOL These guys don't crow. I think it is because of one of two reasons: 1. They are afraid that if they crow they will get beat up by the other roosters, or 2. They think they don't need to, there's enough crowing going on without them saying anything.

This one might be as much as a month older than the grey one but no older. They are very close in size. I had 22 babies hatch on May 9th and another 10 a week later.

Most of them look like this:
These are sitting out in front of the coop.

These and the next picture are sitting at the back of the run.

These two are sitting on a pallet leaning up against the coop. They all have the same coloring. I'm not sure who their Mom is/was but I had a black hen we thought might have been an Australorp. A predator got her.

Last edited:
So, in your best opinion of birds with this much comb or less, in these mixed birds, they are most likely females?

That's what I'm hearing. I guess I am going to have to pen "her" up for a few weeks and see if she lays an egg. So far, I haven't seen anyone molesting her.

I should have a bunch start laying soon. I think 3 already are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom