Boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GoldenRed818, Mar 21, 2015.

1. GoldenRed818

GoldenRed818 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2013
    Atlantic City NJ
    [​IMG]

Are these boys or girls? They're supposed to be red sex link pullets, but I got them on Craigslist so who really knows! Their combs look kind of big. They are around 5 weeks old.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    At that age I would be suspicious too - CL makes it a bit dicey as you run the risk of having been sold chicks that someone hatched having bred a RSL to RSL and thinks that means they have RSL chicks. I'd say wait a fe w more weeks and repost

3. wyandottegirl

wyandottegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, BC
    You are right about the combs. They are looking quite big. I think they all look like pullets though. But I would wait a couple of weeks to be sure.

1 person likes this.
  4. GoldenRed818

Jul 4, 2013
    Atlantic City NJ
    Right. This guy seemed reputable, he had a lot of chickens! 92 chicks and older ones in his backyard plus peacocks and quail. I guess we just have to wait and see. I won't be happy, it's a disappointing time investment to get unwanted Roos.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is too early to tell for sure, but I'm leaning towards them being cockerels.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Are they as chipmunk marked as this photo makes them appear to be? If so, that would further my suspicion on the "breed".

7. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Did the seller state that these were birds he hatched or are they birds he ordered and is selling? If you still have contact with him I would make this inquiry as well as asking about the parent stock if he states they are home-hatched RSL.

8. GoldenRed818

Jul 4, 2013
    Atlantic City NJ
    I'm almost positive he hatches them. I've bought from him before. But I think he will exchange them if I ask, so there's that. Not sure what you mean by "chipmunk" but they are slow feathering for sure. I got 4 of these and 6 Wellsummers, the younger chicks sleeping in the photo.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Chipmunk refers to the markings - but knowing that there are other (different) chicks in the picture clears that up.

10. GoldenRed818

Jul 4, 2013
    Atlantic City NJ
    Oh right. Yeah, the Wellies do look a little like chipmunks! These reds are pigeon sized and just getting their tail & back feathers. Either they are late bloomers or they're going to be huge! Except one who is almost done who I know is a hen, meek & mild with a tiny comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by