Boy or girlie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bizichick, May 22, 2012.

1. Bizichick

Bizichick In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Washington State
    This chick was hatched from an egg that I got from a "mixed" coop. She is about 8 weeks old. Possible moms are Buff Orphington, RIR, or australorp. Possible dads are australorp or delaware white. A few weeks ago I took her to someone who knows a lot about chickens to find out if they thought she was a roo or a pullet. The thought was pullet due to her feathering. I am just concerned because she has such large red wattles and comb. She has had these from a very early age. She is VERY sweet and friendly. Doesn't seem to have any of the roo tendencies. Just wanted to see what others think. I just can't keep worrying about those wattles! Any chance they are just red on a hen because of the breed....whatever her breed may be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SkylaSilkie

SkylaSilkie Chirping

May 20, 2012
    Florida
    My Coop
    Does its tail curl up a little or a lot? Is it agressive? Could you get better pictures?[​IMG]

3. SkylaSilkie

SkylaSilkie Chirping

May 20, 2012
    Florida
    My Coop
    Is It agressive? Does its tail curve up a lot? Could you get better pictures?

4. Bizichick

Bizichick In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Washington State
    I can try and get better pics later this evening. S/he isnt aggressive at all. Very sweet temperment. Lets me pick her up and always good with the other chicks.

5. Bizichick

Bizichick In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Washington State
    Okay here is a better body shot of her/him. She turned away just as I was snapping the pic but I figure the other pics show enough of the face? [​IMG] She is so sweet I am hoping she turns out to be a girl! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Songster

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    It's a boy. Pullets do not get blotchy or shiny colors like that, their colors flow into one another in a camouflage manner. He also is developing some shinny, and pointed saddle (feathers near the tail) feathers, and has a larger red comb.

7. Bizichick

Bizichick In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Washington State
    That was SO not what I wanted to hear! [​IMG] I guess Betty will be needing a new home and a new name! UGH! Thanks for the reply though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: