Boy the grow up fast **PICS**

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mochicken, Dec 18, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I decided to post pictures and details for people newer to raising the Coturnix Quail or someone who is interested in keeping Coturnix Quail.

I have been considering keeping Coturnix for quite some time and recently found someone semi-local that would sell me some starter birds that were already laying so I bought them. I then decided I wanted to get some eggs from others to get a good baseline stock so I had a variety of colors and types without inbreeding mine over and over again to get them so I started hunting on here for eggs. I found Bfrancis to get some eggs from and he sent them to me around Thanksgiving, I hatched them and a few of my own eggs and I have 30 more eggs in the incubator now ( most of the ones in the incubator will be sold )

I LOVE LOVE LOVE raising these quail, they are super cute as babies, dont mind being held as adults, lay eggs you can eat, hatch, or sell, and you can eat the birds, cant beat that.

Here are some pics to show the difference that two weeks can make, well actually 13 days lol. The bigger ones are 13 days old and the young ones are 1 day old. As you can see in the first pic the lil golden one was being a clown and fell down right when I decided to take the picture lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i've always loved the legs of the dark range tux's

great looking birds [​IMG]

3. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Great pics! Nice idea to show the size between the ages and how fast the cots grow! They are like a pringle potato chip...you can't just have one [​IMG]

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I love it!
    Beautiful babies!
    Thanks for posting these, I'm sure they will help others new to quail!
    They do grow fast!

5. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Great way to show the difference a few weeks makes. I really like your golden.

6. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Hey Mochicken, your birds are looking great. Thought I'd share a couple of mine since our hatches were about the same time. I took about 10 pictures and never once would one of the two tuxedos get in the picture. Then my batter went dead. [​IMG] But here are pictures of a brown and golden. They do really grow fast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Orange you have some nice looking birds there

8. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    This is what is so appealing to me about cots. The ag. industry spends millions of dollars to develop prolific livestock, and all along, cots have that quality being ignored (for the most part).

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Your first one is not a brown, it is a Rosetta Tibetan/Rosetta Range.

10. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Good catch Shelley! [​IMG]

I saw the word brown and a brown bird , didn't realize it was different. Should have after my little "Surprise" lol..

ETA: Shelley, how do we learn the difference between Tibetan or Range? I've looked back at photos but still not sure.

Orange Ribbon,
    Here's what you have to look forward to! A very beautiful Quail!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by