boy to girl ratio with ducks/geese

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmgirl2477, May 25, 2007.

1. farmgirl2477

farmgirl2477 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    Ok....male is drake...female is what? hen?

I know that chooks require around 10 hens per roo. Is it the same with duck and geese? Im really into the idea of getting some ducks or geese or maybe even some guieane (sp?) but always worry about hatching out too many males.

Thanks,
    Shannon

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    A good drake to duck ratio is about 4 to 6 to one. I have had to separate some of my drakes because I have too many.

A male duck is a drake, a female is a duck.
    A male goose is a gander, a female is a goose.

Check out the link in my sig line and maybe you can adopt a duck in need of a home. Contact the rescuer closest to you and see if there are any available nearby!

3. farmgirl2477

farmgirl2477 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    I checked out your site earlier, but no one is closer then about 4 hours away. Was supposed to be going to an auction tonight, but that had to be postpones =/ Hummm..but now that I think of it, I can probably find a shelter around here. Of course I still have to get this past DH <grin>

Shannon

4. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    I went and got three pilgram geese. they were suppose to give me 2 females and a male and instead i got 2 males and a female. (they were wrapped in bags to keep the poopy from getting everywhere.) should have know anyway should I try and get rid of one of the males? Crystal

5. Gypsy52

Gypsy52 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2015

6. Gypsy52

Gypsy52 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2015
    Go on your Facebook page. You can order them thru a feed store or online.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by