boy vs. girl Cuckoo Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickhick, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Chickhick

Chickhick Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    I've read that Cuckoo Marans are sexable at hatch... how can you tell the boys from the girls?

Thanks!

2. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Songster

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    girls will generally be a darker shade of black overall and have a black stripe running down the front of the shanks. [​IMG]

3. Chickhick

Chickhick Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Thanks! I can't tell a difference in the shade of black yet, as they aren'y fully dry and fluffy yet, but 1 of the 4 does have a black stripe up the front of her shanks, so I'm guessing 3 boys and a girl so far.

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Songster

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I got this information on another thread. I copied it down. Here it is.

Males-- larger, splotchy headspot; lighter, silvery-grayish color: little to no black down leg front.

Females-- More defined and smaller headspot; down is very black, dark wash down the front of legs.

This info helped me greatly. It was 100% correct for me. Good luck and conjrats on the chicks.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Crowing

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    [​IMG]

This is a photo of my Cuckoo Marans chick when he was about two weeks old. He was sexed to be a she but as all my chicks grew up, it was clear, she was really a he.

And here's a photo of him when he's about 5 weeks old. His legs and feet were noticably larger than the other girls.

[​IMG]

Sadly, I had to re-home him. Which was a very sad day for me. I have a small back yard and only have space for 4 chickens so to lose one was tough. And I was so looking forward to those chocolate eggs.

Good Luck with your Cuckoo's. They are BEAUTIFUL birds.

6. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Crowing

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    And I have a ton of photos of him when he was a chick. If you want to see more, ping me and I'll forward those.

7. Chickhick

Chickhick Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Thanks for the pic of your boy... I've changed what I think... now I think 2 are boys and 2 are girls. One of the ones I was counting as a boy had a little dark on her shanks so I was on the fence with her. But looking at the spots on their heads I've decided she must be a girl, too. If only the Light Sussex could be sexed as easily!! [​IMG]

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    These are pure Barred Rock chicks but it works the same way for Cuckoo Marans and most other pure barred breeds when a Homozygous barred roo is used. The males are lighter and look more "frosted"

Pullets
    [​IMG]

Cockerels
    [​IMG]

9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Songster

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Really good photos.[​IMG]

10. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Songster

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Yes, that is a really excellent pair of photos to show the differences, Clint.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: