1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Boy Zaz is good at sexing!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by thndrdancr, Jan 18, 2015.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Here are some pics of my baby gang. Zaz identified 2 boys and 4 girls in early December and I think that's what I have. I have one that's very indeterminate looking to me.

The boys are doing wonderful, the two youngest were looking a little off. I Sevin dusted them and gave everyone a dose of oregano for cocci. The girls looked better the next morn so I put them out to enjoy the 58 degree winter day!! Need to keep an eye on the two smallest though.

Before I kicked them out, Star came in for some early morning relaxing with the young ladies! ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    4 ♀and 2 ♂

3. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well that's not too bad, so total of 10 chicks 2014, 5 girls and 5 boys. Now you guys are going to have to help me determine parentage! ;)

I need better pictures of the one I call Star who has the big white splotch on his forehead. Then you all can tell me if my white cock is his papa with an IB hen or BS hen.
    Or if my IB cock is papa with IB hen or BS hen. Other than that I don't see any indications of white, but he is very young yet.

Oh if you come up with a prettier name for him I will consider it.

4. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    They look small ... how old are they?

5. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    They were an extremely late for this area- early October hatch. Thought I was going to have to keep them in the house all winter. :th

They are adjusting to the coop quite well I think although they were kept separated from everyone else and had heat lamp. Thank heavens it has warmed up a little and they can get some sunshine. I think they are big enough to be loose now, what do you all think? Big enough to avoid bigger birds?

The reason they look huddled in that corner is that's the best sunning spot when the concrete warms up so they were actually monopolizing it! :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  6. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I assume that Star is the one with the white dot on its head. If that is the case I will guess that the father is the White and the mother is the BS. A white dot on the head is usually an indicator that it has either Pied or White, and the white on the back of the head is an indicator or BS.

I have a lot of chicks that appear normal IB except that the back of the head is still white at eight months. I had marked them as coming from my BS cock pen.

7. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Pics of Star

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Good to know! So Question and Answer probably belong to one of my IB hens, as they have white heads but were before I brought the white out of quarantine.

Will be interesting to see these guys colorations as they grow. Pretty sure Annie, my most personable is straight IB. She sure is loving tho.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  9. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014

I guess, this week anyway, I wouldn't count on them being able to avoid the bigger birds :-(
    I still have Miss Topaz in the house, where she seems to be gaining weight. The other 2014 chick, which was an early July baby, is approaching adult size, though not completely grown. This morning, I now have a 2 1/2 year old male in time out, because he was pursuing her incessantly. So after watching that for awhile, I herded him into the pen "annex" and segregated him.
    He is experiencing spring hormones and male stupidity or something.
    I dunno what I an going to end up doing, but I definitely have a problem, and my 2014 chicks are much larger than yours

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by