Boycott! My Easter Eggers Refused The New Nesting Box!! My hens seem to hate change.

Paula321

Songster
Oct 28, 2019
Lake Wales, Florida (Central Florida)

My EE little ladies have not laid an egg for three weeks since I replaced their rotting nesting box. The rest of the flock is taking it well but my six EEs were very upset over the box change. I miss my four blue eggs per day. My other hens are RRs, Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons and they do not seem bothered by the change.

I’ll provide treats tomorrow morning right next to the boxes to see if that reminds them to go lay.

Last edited:
Is it winter where you are? It could be coincidence with they're winter break or it just tipped them into it.
I’m in Florida. The whole breed (6 hens) quit so it’s strange. My other mamas are still going strong except for my molting ones. That’s to be expected but the EEs have four that finished molting, laid eggs and then stopped with the box change.

I’ve searched my yard for eggs. My boxes are on my front porch so I can’t just lock them up for a week until they cave. 🐓❤️🐓

I have babies and a broody in the coop currently and like the hens to free range. I think they would absolutely hate being locked up since they’ve never done that before. I really think they just got pushed into stopping for the winter since I spent the entire day watching them this past week. It’s just that we are in Florida with lots of light. It’s in the 80s still.

Back
Top Bottom