boys and girls in my flock

Discussion in 'Online Poultry Show' started by 3eggn8, Jul 14, 2011.

1. 3eggn8

3eggn8 New Egg

Jul 14, 2011
    Hi, I am new to this chicken raising thing. This spring we decided to raise 7 chickens, (3 breeds) wanting to have 3 different colored eggs for each of our grandkids. We have 4 longhorns (white eggs) 2 reds (brown eggs) and 1 arcadia (speckled eggs). My problem is the speckled egg layer is a rooster ! Do I need to find him a new home so he won't try to make baby chickens or do they not interbreed? Thanks for any help.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm confused...

How do you know it's a rooster? If it's laying eggs it is not a rooster.

3. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    The only way you'll get baby chicks is if a hen decides to sit on the eggs for three weeks and hatch them out, otherwise you can eat a fertile egg. [​IMG] The actual chick doesn't start to develop until a hen has sat on it for at least a few days, so eating a fertile egg isn't killing anything, nor is it gross, because nothings in it. It just has potental to be a chick. [​IMG] So in short, enjoy your rooster! I would keep him if I were you. Roosters make a wonderful addition to the flock and help maintain order. If you still want speckeled eggs then get a arcadia hen to go with him. The rooster will mate with all your breeds, but this won't be a problem. I hope this clears things up, so good luck with your chickens! And [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by