Boys? Girl? or Mixed - photos for ID included

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Kotiya, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Kotiya

Kotiya Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    My boys are trying to make sets of three broilers for a 4H project. Do the birds in the photo below look like girls? The one closest, I thought for sure. But the back two I'm not sure. Close up photo of one of the back two birds.
    All Three:
    [​IMG]
    One of the questionables alone:
    [​IMG]

2. Kotiya

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    birds are 6 weeks old, if that helps

3. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    The long wattles make them look like boys to me. But I'm hardly an expert. [​IMG] I also seem to recall soething about the ears and being able to tell - but that may have been breed specific, and, in any case, I don't remember what it was. [​IMG]

4. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    Hey Kotiya,

Are these the same birds from your other post? Being that they're only six weeks old, I'd say that the closest one is a pullet and the other two are boys. The "growth spurt" for CX's is from week 5 - 9 roughly. The growth is just phenomenal. I'd be willing to bet that at 8 weeks old, you would have no doubt. I just went out and compared your photos with my meaties and I'm pretty sure you've got two boys and one girl, unlike what I responded in your other thread. It's really hard to tell until after they've hit their growth spurt for a while then it's blatantly obvious. My meaties are pushing 14 weeks now so I've known for a while. I'm just seeing if free ranging them for a few weeks before processing will alter the taste of the meat.

How many meaties do you have? Perhaps you could use some different flock members to satisfy the 4H requirements.

Dan

5. Kotiya

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    We had them weighed in today and the man doing the weighing said they were all boys. I am still wondering about that close one. At the fair I could easily see the difference between boys and girls. That one I have must be a bit young to be telling......If the judge tuesday says its a mixed pen, I guess that son is out of luck. I have three boys and enterred three pens. Our home scale must have been off, because one bird weighed in at 5.5 lbs instead of the 6.5 we thought at home. If I had known my scale was a bit off I would've checked out more of the other birds. When I first weighed on friday, 95% were already overweight! Anyway, thanks for all your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by