Boys? Girls? hmmmm

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StrayMagnet, Sep 17, 2011.

1. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Well I hope These pics are good.. as My Chicks are not Person friendly. Considering they were born to a stray chicken.. I do not want to stress them out trying to catch them and hold them. I am happy letting them be chickens... but I went into their Enclousre today and Tryed to get the best pics my mom's Crappy camera can take..
    I do have a favorite.. he/she has LOTS Of white in it... then I have one I call butterball beacuse it's huge LOL!!.

well I didnt get indiv pics of each.. i just got whatever I could take.. mabey we can tell if there is a way to pick out the boys and the girls.. beacuse there are several that look identical.. and there are others that look diffrent.. but each Group looks the same.. if that makes sence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sorry, I see a LOT of boys, (basing on color which in these birds is fool-proof) -

The first photo shows two boys up front, a few girls behind.

Second photo shows 4 definite boys, 2 definite girls, and 2 (on each side of the pic) possible boys, not sure.

5th photo shows a boy, the other head-shots are too blurry and closeup to tell. These chickens are best sexed by color, not comb.

In person, try and look for ones with a lot of solid black and red on the body - Those are boys. The more black especially is a boy.

The girls have the golden brown stringy look on the neck, and the smudgy black and goldish brown pencilling through the body.

3. StrayMagnet

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    awww so i have 90% roosters!!!. awww mannnn. well I have one that has alot of white on it!!! so That may be at least a girl. Tomarrow I will try to get pics with my camera once it's charged.

so if i understand rite... the ones with the whiter faces are my girls.. and the Darker ones boys?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No. The faces, ignore, in fact the whiter ones are often the boys.

Look at the bodies and their color.

A girl looks like the two in the very back of the second picture - Gold and black pencilling and smuging all over. The girls will look kind of like a brown and black barred chicken.

A boy looks like what most of them, probably half, look like. The mostly white face is just a lack of adult feathering, but it is prolifically boy right now, but ignore it. Look for a bird with mostly black body and the shoulders will develop some solid red color, too. The second photo, of the two in the middle, the one on the left shows a great example of what to look for in boys. That color.

5. StrayMagnet

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    ok so the girls are the ones who are looking like their mommy... I don't think I have many that look lke mom LOL!.. so looks like I have almost all boys. and will have to rehome all boys but 1 [​IMG] so sad. well if i do have almost all boys. at least this means when I have money for a bator and eggs I can girls from that!.

soooooo if i have mostly boys.. anyone in GA wanna adopt one??? [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by