Boys? Girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Farmer_Dan, May 13, 2011.

1. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK. So mostly joking, probably really tough to tell at this point, but hey, worth some pix. [​IMG]

2. LilBiddy

LilBiddy Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I'm as new to the chicken coop as my 2-3 wk old chicks. How does one sex a baby chick? What is the earliest this may be possible? And....uh...please don't laugh, but does the fact that three of my six baby chicks have really orange legs indicate "rooster"?...[​IMG]

3. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Hi LilBiddy! [​IMG]

Sexing chicks is all different. There are some breeds taht you can tell when they are born by what color they are if they are male or female. There is a way to "vent sex" day old chicks that involves squeezing the baby bird somehow and looking in their vent for something (don't try this at home). Then you can wait and see if they crow or lay an egg.

The leg coloring is highly variable and depends mostly on breed (afaik).

Often, you can tell if a chicken is male when they feather out as the males have pointy hackle (neck) feathers, and ample saddle (right above their rump) feathers that point down. Also, tail feathers in girls tend to be the same length, where as the boys have different lengths on their tales.

[​IMG]

4. LilBiddy

LilBiddy Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Thanks Dan....but I'm down to four baby chicks now...[​IMG] Coyote got one, then days later a hawk nailed two of them within minutes. Believe it or not, he got 'em when they got too close to the coop fence. He nailed them with his talons THROUGH the chicken wired. I'm guessing that's what happened anyway. When I looked out, I saw the hawk had his foot through the fence, holding a chick down. I went out, he flew away and I knew the chick was dead. I noticed I had another one missing and saw him dead against the fence too. I went off on a trail riding weekend and came back and those chicks looked like they had grown at least two weeks worth! They had gotten big! I have a small "hutch" inside the coop now that I put them in at night until they get bigger. I'll post up some pix of them so you can maybe tell me what I got....supposedly they are Rhode Island Reds and maybe they all are but just looking at them, I'd say I only have one. Come back and see this pix when I put them up. I'll post them in a different thread.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by