Boys not getting along

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickie_mama, Feb 23, 2009.

1. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    I have 2 roos that have been living together peacefully for about 2 1/2 months. Both roos are less than a year old. Harry is just a bit older that Eddie. If anything, Eddie has shown to be dominant. But yesterday, however, things got ugly. Eddie got his butt handed to him. I have seperated them for the moment. Just wondering why they would suddenly be fighting NOW????

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    hormones [​IMG]

3. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Spring is just around the corner. The longer days and warmer weather is signaling mateing season. Top roo gets the girls.

4. chickie_mama

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    Besides keeping them totally seperated from one another, how can I keep one from killing the other?

5. GardenGirl

GardenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I am having the same problem. The two roos are brothers and raised from birth together. I let them out a couple of weeks ago to stretch when there was no snow on the ground, they are all big weenies when it comes to snow, and I see the 2 of them tearing around the yard after eachother. they were bloodied, but went and roosted together with no other incident. Until last week, when they could get out again after the snow melted and they were at it again! Different roo won this time. Again, they went and roosted together w/o problems. Atleast I don't have to separate mine. We are deciding if one should go to a new home because of this. I'm afraid of what the neighbors might start to think.

6. chickie_mama

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    UPDATE:
    Last night when I got home, I let both the boys out in the yard TOGETHER. Poor Eddie, still getting behind handed to him, but he just won't give up.

So here's what I did: I seperated them again, but this time, I put Eddie in the seperate area instead of Harry. Maybe this will convice Eddie that he really is not the top roo.

I will try integrating them again this afternoon when I get home.

Why can't everyone just get along?!? [​IMG]

7. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:It's the penis, the penis is evil!

I have had to separate my boys as well. They fence fight if I house them next to each other!

8. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    If you want to keep both roos together the best thing is to just let them work it out. Someone is going to get put in his place sooner or later. By separateing them, they have to begin all over again on the fighting for top spot. Do you really need 2 roos? How many ladies will they have? Each roo can handle at least 10 hens. If there are not enough hens, the hens you have will show the wear and tear from too much breeding.
    I have 2 RIR roos together with 8 ladies. I do this only until I decide which roo is of the best quality. They too are brothers and grew up together with the girls. They decided long ago who was the top roo. The bottom roo is allowed only 1 hen and he protects her well. Who knows, the bottom roo may end up with all the girls. It all depends on evaluation this spring. My 8 hens will only have one man but I will choose the best one in the long run.

9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    If you continue to house them together, one will/can/may kill the other one or injury him so badly you have to put him down. So, either give each their own ladies and keep them separate or get rid of one of them. Same thing will happen with other animals--when it's mating time. Bulls, dogs, cats, rams, bucks all become fixated on ONE thing--it's what they live for.

Good luck

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:WHAT warmer weather???!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by