1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Boys on top level of coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SoCalChicky, Feb 18, 2013.

1. SoCalChicky

SoCalChicky Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    N San Diego
    Building a coop from scratch so I have some leeway...and we're doing fertile eggs so I know I have a 50/50 chance of hatching males....so what to do with the boys...

Well obviously we could give them away but if we do decide to keep them as broilers I know they'll need to be separated once they start going after the hens...

We are building a coop under our boys tree fort and it's 8-9 feet off the ground, so instead of doing a coop that's 8-9 ft tall (minus the 2 feet clearance under the whole thing as extra run space) I thought I could divide the coop horizontally with a plywood floor and have the top 3 feet for the roosters. I would attach a run going east for the hens and south for the boys and they'd be allowed to free-range at separate times. I figured the roosters would only need 3 feet b/c I've read to not allow them to roost so they don't get callused stomachs? seems cruel to go against their instinct though...

Do you see any problems with this? Is this insane lol? (I'm new to all this!)

2. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Umm I don't see a problem except how would u clean the top!?

3. SoCalChicky

SoCalChicky Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    N San Diego
    making a false side that opens all the way and I guess I'd have to use a ladder??

it doesn't matter I don't think...our neighbors with chickens informed me that by the time the boys are old enough to start bothering the gals and fighting amongst themselves they'll be old enough to cull. duh. so much I have left to learn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by