boys or girls? any guess?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kylee2katie, Aug 12, 2010.

1. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    I got these 4 on May 30th - they were 2 days old so that puts them around 11 weeks old. The two mallards started quacking at me yesterday when I came out - without peas! [​IMG] so I am guessing girls...but I have no idea on the muskovies. they make zero noise...except every now and then some sort of high pitched purr? not sure how else to describe it...

[​IMG]

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't know if it's just the color in the photo, but both the mallards look like they have yellow bills, so I'm wondering if they're males, except their feet have dark markings, which would indicate a girl.

The Muscovies look like females to me from what I can see in the photo. Males will have some noticeable crinkling at the top of the bill at that age I can't really see that in these photos. The black and white one looks like it has some crinkling, though, from what I can see. So, it could be a boy.

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

At 11 wks & comparing their size to the mallards those Scovies are most likely girls. Drake Scovies would be quite a bit bigger than the mallards by now. The girls coo & chirrup... very pretty sound and the boys will begin hissing at they reach maturity. Pretty Scovies! [​IMG]

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sounds right. If they are all the same age, if those scovies were boys they would be huge. How did you luck out and get 4 girls!?!?!

5. kylee2katie

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    Quote:Lucked out is right! I originally started out with 4 others - 2 mallards, one pekin, and one fawn runner - the pekin and runner where easter presents for my girls, I got from the local feed store - they were dyed orange and green - we had no idea what type duck they were. out of these - only the pekin is female so I am very glad these newest 4 are girls....I couldn't imagine having to get rid of my boys! The runner (my baby) is so sweet, if I sit down in the yard, he will climb in my lap and cuddle with me - I can hand feed the others but he is the only loving one in the bunch!

6. kylee2katie

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    Quote:One mallard has a yellowish bill with dark markings and is getting darker every day, the other one is dark with just a hint of orange/yellow.

Both of the muscovies have a very small crinkle at the base of the bill, but that's it.

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:One mallard has a yellowish bill with dark markings and is getting darker every day, the other one is dark with just a hint of orange/yellow.

Both of the muscovies have a very small crinkle at the base of the bill, but that's it.

Oh, then that settles it. They're most likely all girls, then.

8. ducks and geese

ducks and geese Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    The mallards are hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by