Boys or Girls any idea

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by claireree, Aug 10, 2010.

1. claireree

claireree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    I have 2 ducks and they are now pretty much fully grown. Does anyone have any idea if they are boys or girls, i posted some pics a few weeks ago but they are now a bit bigger, I have listened for the quack but sometimes one sounds diff and then another day they sound the same.

[​IMG]

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I think the one on the left with the yellow bill is most likely a boy, the one with the more bluish bill on the right might be a girl. However, the flipped up tail on the right one might mean it's a boy, too.

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I'm almost positive you have a pair

4. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:Yeah...the white ring on the duck on the left and their different colored bills indicate that the are different sexes.

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I'm not to sure about the bill color, because the sun it hitting one of them. I would grab each one and see what sound they produce. A male will be way different from a screaming hen. Any curly tail feathers to report on?

6. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say you definitely have a pair.

Th duck on the left is a drake because of the greenish beak and very orange feet color. The white ring looks like a color deformity though because young drakes should have pretty much the exact same feathering as females. In this breed anyway...

The one on the right is your girl because she has a darker beak and feet. =]

But checking the sounds of their voices will give you the exact answer. =]

7. claireree

Jul 9, 2010
    ok will keep you informed, I must admit they do sound different, but very slightly. How long before the curl on the tail appears.

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:My 3yo drake still really doesnt have a tail curl

9. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's usually about 5 months, but some can come earlier, later or not at all.

10. claireree

Jul 9, 2010
    ok will keep listening for the quack then, next question is what age do they start to lay, then I will really know [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by