boys or girls? giant cochins

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sweet Violet, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    There are only 3 birds. All are 4 weeks old, Golden Laced LF Cochins. I'm thinking 3 roosters based on tail size but all my other boy cochins at 4 weeks old already were showing signs of red combs. I'm confused.
    Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have bantam cochins, and based on comb size I agree they look like pullets. I don't know much about tail feathers. My pullets have some tail feathers on them too. I just look at combs, unless it's silkies or unless I see some HUGE tail feathers.

Thank you also, I was wondering what kind of cochin I had with this kind of feather coloring. Golden laced! You solved the mystery! Your birds are beautiful, and I enjoyed seeing pics of them!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  3. Sweet Violet

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    well good, glad I could help! These were from eggs I hatched from Rare Feathers Farm in WA.

4. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Oh I just went to their website since you mentioned them. I'll bookmark the site for later. I have a brand new incubator. [​IMG]

5. Sweet Violet

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    I've got some of her light sussex in the 'bator right now. I've also hatched her Lemon Blue Cochins!

6. ChickensAreSweet

Lemon blue cochins are beautiful. I just today bought some Golden lakenvelder eggs! Yah!

7. Sweet Violet

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    anyone else????[​IMG]

8. blueid10

blueid10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    They all look like pullets to me! The reason is that they have small, straight, pale combs and reasonably stubby tail feathers.

Good luck with the babies! [​IMG]

9. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Based on color, not comb, I'd say you have one cockeral and two pullets. LF Cochins are very slow to develop. Sometimes I can't tell with my LF Black Cochins until 8 weeks whether I have cockerals or pullets. But based on the color you have going on there, I would say the one with all the gold is your cockeral. And the other two are pullets.

Congrats on getting eggs from Rare Feathers. I've been eyeing those eggs. They have gorgeous birds!

Laurie

10. Sweet Violet

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    Thanks folks for the help! I tell you, the Lemon Blue LF Cochin eggs I hatched out from RFF had deep red combs at 4 weeks and the tallest legs I've ever seen!!
    Naomi [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by