Boys? or Girls? HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsherman, May 7, 2008.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh no. Some of those combs look familiar. Do some have rose or pea combs? If so, I'm going through the same thing. Mine are a month old and I have no clue yet. [​IMG]

2. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:I watched a program on TV tonight called"How it's made" or " How they do it" and it had a part on it about Hatcharies.....anyway, they also talked about sexing baby chicks and they said that you check the chicks wings. If the feathers on the wings are all the same length then it's a roo and of the feathers on the wing(they are talking about the edge of the wings) are 2 different lengths then they are female. After seeing this I ran up to my chicks and checked..and if I am correct and have done it right, then I have 9 pullets and 3 roos. Good luck.

3. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    The wing feathering was also checked on the "dirty jobs" tv show...someone posted last night....before he did the vent check he checked the wings!!! If it weren't so late I'd be running out to check my babies... [​IMG]

4. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:I'm not sure how old they have to be to check the wings.My babies are 4 days old. But I can see the difference in the wings(with most of them)...I just hope I'm right. Anyway, I won't depend on it,I'll wait and see.But if I am right I have 9 pullets and 3 roos....wooo hooo...lol.

5. Half-a-dozen

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Quote:Myst4 I have been going crazy all day trying to figure out what wing feathers to check??? If you pull out their wing ALL of the feathers have to be the same length OR only the first few??? plz explain...I want to try to guess too on my lil ones!!! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
  6. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Myst4 I have been going crazy all day trying to figure out what wing feathers to check??? If you pull out their wing ALL of the feathers have to be the same length OR only the first few??? plz explain...I want to try to guess too on my lil ones!!! [​IMG]

I'm sorry I took so long in answering this thread....pull out their wings and if there is a definite difference as in 2 different,distinct, length of feather,then she is a girl. The inner feather ,towards the "arm pit", are a lot shorter and the outter, towards the tip of the wing is a lot longer. With the boys, the feathers are vertually the same length. Oh and another way is that a roo has a brooder head,as to a hen having a smaller head.

7. Half-a-dozen

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Thanks for posting back Myst4 [​IMG]

I pulled out the wings and some of my chicks have a perfect row (all evenly lined up) feathering at the tips....then I got to the cochins.... There feathering are all messed up and I am pretty sure one is a roo. He is only about 3-4 weeks and has the largest red comb and waddles I have ever seen on a chick!!!

Maybe it also depends on the breeds....[​IMG] Guess I will have to wait some more and see.... I am soooo impatient!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] LOL LOL

8. silkieboxerluv

silkieboxerluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    hmmm does this work on silkies?

9. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:not sure...on that TV show they were all yellow chicks. I have noticed that some of my chicks are getting tail feathers and some haven't started..I wonder if the ones getting the tail feathers already are roos...hmmmmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by