1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Boys or Girls or Both?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alamogirl, Aug 31, 2009.

1. alamogirl

alamogirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    They're 16-17 week white leghorns. Any guesses?

They are really close in size, legs are exactly the same size, and no crowing yet.

I'm curious what will happen to the one that looks more boy to me, when we get rid of our 14 week definite-I'maboy-crowingeverymorning rooster...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    At 16 weeks, they're definately both pullets. The males would be much more developed and crowing by then.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    both pullets, the tails are good indicators, the hen's tails go straight up and the roo's tails curl down. Pretty girls!

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Definitely girls! No doubts. They should start getting a larger, redder comb soon, as they get closer to laying age - don't let that worry you. Male leghorns would have a larger, redder comb at a very early age.

5. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Girls--

That second picture is great. Have you considered submitting it to Backyard Poultry magazine? They put reader's photos on the cover. If you cropped out some of the righthand size it would be perfect.

6. alamogirl

alamogirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    ooooooo thanks everyone! I was really hoping we could keep both these two. They are so sweet.

Mrs. Puff--thank you for the compliments on the picture. I just got a brand new camera and that picture was taken my first day of shooting. Of course, chickens make great models!

Texas Star--I see you're from San Antonio. That's my hometown and I sure miss it! Such a wonderful place.

Yay! I'm so glad. And relieved!

Emily

7. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:It's great here, but I bet you like the summers better where you are. Today was the first cool day, and it's 92 degrees with 31% humidity. But I'm still thankfull.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by