1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Boys or girls? UPDATE ON PAGE 2!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sweeterdeeter42, Jun 7, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Cuckoo marans chick, can anyone tell by the bars if it is a roo or a pullet? I could tell early with my BR's because I had both genders and there was a significant difference, but this is the only cuckoo marans that hatched out so I dont have any others to compare it to. And yes, it has black on its legs.... Blame the hatchery stock.

[​IMG]

And my EE chick..... Any ideas judging by coloring?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    It's a bit early to tell, but the EE is a bit suspect.

Love the tag-line!

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    EE with yellow legs? All of mine have dark legs....is this typical, anyone else with more experience with EE's?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The marans is a pullet. It's still too early for the EE.

5. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    That "EE" is not an EE -- it has yellow legs.

6. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:x2

7. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:
    I KNOW the EE IS an EE because it came out of my EE's which lay blue and green eggs.....
    EE's dont have a standard according to the APA, but the EECA (Easter Egger Club of America) has set a standard for them. Note the mention of yellow legs......

"Breed General Description and STANDARDS OF PERFECTION

The standards of perfection established below are that of the "Ideal Easter Egger"
    Birds that do not meet these "Standards of Perfection" are still considered Easter Eggers, but not of the same high quality.

Weight: Typical large fowl 5-7 pounds
    Color: All
    Comb Type/Wattles: Pea Comb/ small or non-existant
    Beard and Muffs: Full, well-rounded, medium length (These are the norm, however some have been developed without these traits)
    Head: Medium size.
    Face: Nearly hidden by muffs.
    Eyes: Expressive
    Beak: Curved.
    Ear Lobes: Small..
    Neck: Well-arched
    Hackel: Full.
    Back: Medium length.
    Leg Color: Green is typical but other colors include, willow, slate, yellow. "

8. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yes, the maran is a pullet and I would suspect at this point that your EE is a cockerel, but too early to tell for sure. [​IMG]

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I agree, the second is an EE, and it is most likely a little roo. EE's don't have 1 distinct look, they are very mixed, and thus can lack certain features that people associate with them. Typical EE has muffs, green legs, and lays green/blue eggs. Any of the above can be absent (though you just have a barnyard cross if it's at the point where all three features are absent).

Assuming green legs = EE is pretty risky, as they are not the only breed with slate legs, and they sometimes don't have them.

Hope that helps!

10. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:
    I KNOW the EE IS an EE because it came out of my EE's which lay blue and green eggs.....
    EE's dont have a standard according to the APA, but the EECA (Easter Egger Club of America) has set a standard for them. Note the mention of yellow legs......

"Breed General Description and STANDARDS OF PERFECTION

The standards of perfection established below are that of the "Ideal Easter Egger"
    Birds that do not meet these "Standards of Perfection" are still considered Easter Eggers, but not of the same high quality.

Weight: Typical large fowl 5-7 pounds
    Color: All
    Comb Type/Wattles: Pea Comb/ small or non-existant
    Beard and Muffs: Full, well-rounded, medium length (These are the norm, however some have been developed without these traits)
    Head: Medium size.
    Face: Nearly hidden by muffs.
    Eyes: Expressive
    Beak: Curved.
    Ear Lobes: Small..
    Neck: Well-arched
    Hackel: Full.
    Back: Medium length.
    Leg Color: Green is typical but other colors include, willow, slate, yellow. "

good to know, I have 3 one has a sort of greyish/white color to its legs....nice input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by