Boys or girls?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by okiechick57, Nov 13, 2007.

1. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here are my runners and my rouen...... I think the rouen is female from the coloring,,,,the runners , I have NO clue....how does one tell with fawn and white runners which is which? When do the male rouens begin to color out? These are about 3 months old approx! Thanks for any help !
    [​IMG]

2. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    Have they started to get thier drake feathers yet? That is the way I can tell. Also the girls are alot more vocal then the boys. [​IMG]

3. okiechick57

Oh geesh, I guess I know even less than I had thought.... [​IMG] what are the drake feathers.......... think I will do some searching,thanks Gloria

4. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Well your little rouen is too young for his drake feather yet. Mine got that last. It is just the one curly tail feather. Runners I'm not sure about but just listen to who quacks the loudest. The really loud ones are the girls and the ones that kinda whisper are the boys.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Rouens have female feathering to start out. The get the "mallard" greenhead feathering in the nuptial molt.
    At three months, the quacking should give it away. Males have a 2 syllable "raab" like wahk-wahk wahk-wahk. Girls ate just obnoxiously loud. ka-WAK! kwak-kwak-kwak!!!

Baby Magoo
    [​IMG]

Mid Molt
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nuptial Feathering (about 6 months old) Magoo is the one in back. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. okiechick57

[​IMG] Thanks all. I will wait a bit more I guess.so hard to tell and I am not for sure bout age of mine,they are just now making noises....will listen and watch..... I sure want a drake rouen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by