boys or girls?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ajplmama, Nov 17, 2009.

1. ajplmama

ajplmama Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    My muscovies all look the same. They must be about 6 months old. When they were smaller some were bigger than others but now they all seem similar sized and similar markings/red on their face. Also, there's no mating going on and no fighting. So could I have all boys or all girls? And how do I know?

Hopefully you can access this link. The photos are just of the heads but I'll try to upload some more tonight if it would be helpful.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=9909575&id=847150077

2. DuckMamaorBust

DuckMamaorBust Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Westford, MA
    Good Morning, I wasn't able to see anything on the link you gave. On facebook, do you allow anyone other than friends to see your albums? It would be easier to see if you upload them using the tool here on the forum.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures!

3. ajplmama

May 20, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    I unfortunately don't have the original photos with me at work. I'll upload the image from facebook and hope it's big enough to see.

4. ajplmama

May 20, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    [​IMG]

5. ajplmama

May 20, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    Also, I've never heard any real noises out of them except a bit of a hiss when the dogs bug them or an excited sort of chirp-hiss when they are waiting to be fed in the evenings. I've read that females have a weak quack.

6. DuckMamaorBust

DuckMamaorBust Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Westford, MA
    Well, I'm going to test out the knowledge I've acquired on this forum thus far and venture to say you have boys. There is a muscovy thread where everyone is sharing pictures of their Muscovy flocks and yours has similar caruncles (red mask) to many of the folks on that forum. Also, if they only hiss and don't have the weak-quack like you said that is further evidence they are boys. Can they fly? Boys usually can't 'cause they're too big but females can.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I haven't actually aquired ducks yet. However, Muscovies are what I'm interested in so I've been watching the various forums carefully. Someone else will surely chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

They are beautiful! I love their white heads.

Best of luck!

7. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

The boys should be hissing by now and that's pretty much all they do. The girls make a trilling, cooing sound and they will hiss if annoyed. They can make a sharp quack like sound when they are fighting or have their feathers pulled by one another but they don't do that regularly. At six mo. mine have more caruncling around their eyes than yours BUT I have also noticed some of the white heads, which you have, tend to grow out their caruncles later so that still might be the case with yours. If you can post a few more pic's of thier bodies etc. that might help. Also, the girls will be smaller than the boys and even though you don't seem to have size differences you should be able to get some idea by the "general size" of them. The girls can get up to 8lbs whereas the boys tend to be larger at about 10-15lbs

8. ajplmama

May 20, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks. These aren't flying. Also, the white heads are new. They feathered in all black except for a bit of white on the wings. Now they white is taking over quickly. Since this photo the white is all the way down their necks. If I can get home before dark tonight I'll take some body photos and maybe try to weigh one of them.

9. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

The white head gene is dominate. As they feather out you can sometimes see a small patch of white starting up around their eyes or a patch somewhere on the head or face. I've seen white head manifest as early as their new juvenile feathers and as late as AFTER their adult feathers are in and spread over a few molts. I have found no studies cited on the internet but fm recent experience, I believe that the white head gene is a contributing factor in enhancing/intensifing the barring in black barred adult Muscovies. It would be interesting to see the grown ducklings of a White Head Black Barred X WH Black Barred & if the enhanced barring could breed true in the adult feathering of subsequent generations.
    Striped Adult Ducks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  10. ajplmama

May 20, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    Here are some better photos. Boys or girls?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by