1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kellya, Oct 30, 2010.

1. kellya

kellya New Egg

Oct 30, 2010
    I have 4 chickens, two are definitely female but i'm really not sure about the other two. They both have large combs and wattles, and both have those floppy over tail feathers (sorry, first time owner!! and not at all technical!)

I will try to attach some photo's, they are mainly of sadle feathers as I have read that this is the best indication. One is a Rhode Island Red and the other an Autralorp. Both are adorable and soppy enough to be cuddles so Im keeping my fingers crossed that my growing suspicion that they are male is just me worrying too much!

All my chickens are now between 24 and 25 weeks old, Ive had no eggs and no crowing!!

My Rhodie:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Australorp:

[​IMG]
    Neck feathers;
    [​IMG]

2. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    yes, those are both roos. sorry ):
    their saddle & hackle feathers are pointed. and you're right, they do have big combs and wattles and some sickle feathers on their tails.

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    X2 Both boys.

4. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Roos X2, also

5. kellya

kellya New Egg

Oct 30, 2010
    Oh dear [​IMG]

Thank you all, Ive been hanging on hoping that it's just me, but with no crowing I was confused!!..... it might explain the lack of eggs though!!!

Kell x

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Boys. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by