Boys or Girls???

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by ky goat lad, Mar 14, 2011.

1. ky goat lad

ky goat lad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    georgetown
    Can anyone help, I think the pied in boy , hear him sounds. They are 8-9 months
    Thanks
    (working photo, hope it worked)

2. ky goat lad

ky goat lad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    georgetown
    [​IMG]
    If this didn't work , I need help.

3. lazyeacres

lazyeacres Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    If you hear "Buckwheat, Buckwheat, Buckwheat" it is a female
    *** NOTE***
    females can imitate male sounds but males CANNOT imitate females so this is the most true method I have found in sexing adult birds.

Good luck

4. millersdawn616

millersdawn616 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Quote:ok im pretty sure your pied is a male (cant really tell from the pic) its wattle is curved like a cup which means male. your solid pearls are females its hard to tell from the pic tho. when i pick up my males the move there legs like crazy trying to get me to put them down and make a squicking chi chi noise then calm down. when i pick my females up they FREACK out and flap there wings and make like a honking noise and do not calm down untill you put them down. the males will also stick there wings up and charge other flock members sometimes. my hens dont do that.i have violets, pied and pearl guineas that DO have like a half curved waddle on one side and then a normal femal waddle on the other side but they are females. try seperating them and see what sound they make (guinea fowl HATE being alone and will try and locate there flock when they are out of visual range) i hope this helps!

5. millersdawn616

millersdawn616 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    i dont know how to put pics on but if i can ill post some examples for you

6. gracefarms

gracefarms New Egg

Mar 23, 2011
    We were just given a "pair" of guineas to add to our two males. The new ones are 8-9 months old, and looked like the classic "male" and "female": male has large flat wattles, larger helmet, and yells kack-kack-kack; female has smaller curled wattles, smaller flatter helmet and definitely "croaks" "pott-rack, pott-rack". We've had them two days, and today the new "male" has alternated yelling kack-kack-kack and pott-tack, pott-rack.

To complicate things, our two older males have curled wattles, and one has a smaller helmet than the other. So just to say.... I have spent 4 hours on the internet and have found that sometimes males DO make the "buck-wheat" sound. And wattles and helmets are not a clear indicator. Short of finding an egg under one, there doesn't seem to be a definitive way of knowing the difference.... [​IMG]

7. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Hearing them squall "come-BACK!" is about 95% accurate. Kinda like the folks who determine the gender of day old chicks.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by