Boys or Girls??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by catlikethief, May 19, 2008.

1. catlikethief

catlikethief Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Portland OR
    I recently bought 5 hens. 3 RIR and 2 BR. The farmer I bought them from said he didn't know yet what sex they were but that they would start laying in a few weeks. Well today I noticed two of them made some loud noises at me while trying to put them back in the coop. They are the bigger of the 5. Sorry about the less than perfect pics of the RIR. Thank you [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I believe the BR pictured is a Roo, he looks very light colored like a Roo.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Not sure about your BR but your RIR is DEFINITELY a pullet! My 9 week RIR has a HUGE come and some nice wattles now. My pullets look just like yours! [​IMG]

4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    My opinion: girls.

5. catlikethief

May 13, 2008
    Portland OR
    Quote:Thanks! The RIR pictured is my biggest, so I was a little worried, hopefully the others will catch up to her.

6. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    How old is the barred rock? Mine are 12 weeks and their combs are just starting to pink up and their waddles develop.

7. catlikethief

May 13, 2008
    Portland OR
    Quote:I don't really know [​IMG] The farmer I bought them from told me in 4-6 weeks (maybe sooner) they would start to lay. Their butt feather still look like chick feathers. (really fuzzy and cute)

Knowing that, how old do you think they are?

8. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Hmmm, I guess that'd put them around 14-16 weeks old, so it could easily be a pullet...however I'm no expert so I guess you should take the word of others.

9. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    If I had to guess I would say that your BR is a roo, looks just like my roo's and your RIR is a pullet.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by