Boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by flyinchicks, Sep 21, 2011.

1. flyinchicks

flyinchicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    I got this group together. I know the one guy (biggest one) is a roo but are the others hens? Hoping so. Not sure what they are. A friend bought chocolate eggs that were mislabeled at a sale. I can't remember what he was trying to buy but it's not what they turned out to be. If anyone has any ideas on the breed or mix of feel free to share.

all four
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

two of the ones I hope are girls
    [​IMG]

And this one...The fluff on the cheeks just started about a week ago
    the one on the right
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

All look like girls except for the one on the far right in the first picture.[​IMG]

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    They look like French Marans. The one in the first pic on the far right is definitely a cockerel and the two to the left and back are definitely pullets but I'm on the fence on the one in front. It has a much larger comb than the girls' but isn't as red as the roo's. Isn't quite like a pullet's should be but it's not quite right for a roo yet either. It could be a late developing cockerel.

The blue is looking like a pullet right now. Did it hatch from the same batch of eggs?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  4. flyinchicks

Aug 15, 2011
    No not the same batch of eggs. I just brought them home together and they all seem to stick together. Couldn't resist the grey ones they were so cute. When I got them you couldn't tell one from the other now they are all developing very different features.

The one you say you're on the fence on stumps me too. I pick it up all the time and study it but it seems to be in the middle as far as colors.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If that's just feather shafts and not shine, the blue one is a girl. Otherwise it is a boy.

The rest are all girls, except for of course the big boy. They are indeed Black Copper Marans, but obviously not bred to the standard.

6. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

the blues look like blue andalusains

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:The blue in question is an Ameraucana [​IMG]

8. flyinchicks

Aug 15, 2011
    well good looks like I have lots of girls. I am not so worried about them being bred to standard as I keep chickens for the eggs. What little raising I have done is only for my children to experience it. I paid very little for them and now I am getting excited to see what egg variations I may end up with.

Thanks for the input.

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the top ones are black copper marains french and the blue looks like Blue Sumatra they look just like mine with their color and the leg color

10. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    they all look like hens to me except the last one. i'd say you got a roo... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by