Boys or Girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mommy3, Sep 27, 2011.

1. mommy3

mommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Plantsville, CT
    Good Morning all! Well, out of 6 chicks- we are very confused! Barred Rocks- 5/6 days old and cute as can be! ok- We have the info on the head spot, color, and legs. Now I received some information about the feathers on the end of the wings. Does anyone else know about this trick? we have two kinds. Four of the the babies have wing Feathers that seem longer or pointy- they even stick out a little and then the other two have them so they are kind of rounded or closer to being even and they do not stick out when they are standing or sitting. Is this a good way to tell the sex? Are we driving ourselves crazy? When will it be very apparent and when would we have to separate them? I was told 4 wks they would need to be seperated- is that true? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    the two at the top of the picture we think are females- even though the headspot on the one is very spread out- their wings are the same and bodies are dark. The one at the bottom of the picture we believe is a boy.
    [​IMG]
    this picture shows how the feathers are sticking out on four of them. The difference in the color (like the one in the top picture) and the wings make us believe the ones with wings like this are boys. This is one that is darker than the others but has the wing feathers that stick out.

Any experts out there want to chime in? Am I totally screwed up and worrying for nothing about having to seperate them? We have to get rid of the boys and have a home for them but also not sure how old they have to be before they go there. Would love some help!![​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    why would you seperat them? idk about sexing them until they are older

3. mommy3

Sep 19, 2011
    Plantsville, CT
    A guy at the agway said that the males will go after the females and we would have to seperate them so the females would not get hurt or killed- was that bad information? We can not have roosters where I live- when do they become an issue? We are very very new to all of this!

4. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    You don't need to separate them for months, if ever - roosters won't fight until they're much older, and some roosters raised together never bother each other. And they won't pick on the hens either - even mating won't happen for many weeks. I'm not sure what the Agway guy was thinking...

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i have never heard of seperating them. they peck at each other to establish a pecking order which they will do even if you did seperat them, the roos between themselves and the hens between themselves as well. i have read that you need at least 10 hens per roo...my roos started crowing around 20-35 weeks. my hens chase each other around and peck one another still at least once a week to keep their pecking order established. i'm not an expert but its just what i have seen mine do even when they are let out of the coop they chase each other. never had a roo chase a hen before just they other roo that was in the cage with him. just watch for to much pecking

6. mommy3

Sep 19, 2011
    Plantsville, CT
    Thank you! Now I am not nearly as worried about what they all are! But I am still curious especially because we want to get a few RIR to mix in at some point. Again- thanks everyone! Love this forum!

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    ha....sorry, I had to giggle a bit, its amazing the information we get from people who don't know...

Can't tell sex yet, the roos will not hurt the girls, even as adults, there is always a chance of an aggressive roo, but you already said you
    cannot keep them. It will be some time before we can definitely tell.

It will be several months to be certain....you can re-home them any time after they fully feather out in my opinion....that way they have plenty of time to grow and be healthy.

there will be a pecking order, you most likely wont notice much chaos its normal and nobody will get hurt

post pics later as they grow, we will try to help....also I noticed they are standing on paper towels, make sure you get some shavings in there soon, they can get spraddle legged, due to the slippery paper.

8. mommy3

Sep 19, 2011
    Plantsville, CT
    JodyJo-thanks! when would you switch to shavings? we have them- but were told to use papertowels at first so they don't confuse the shavings for food. Also how deep should the shavings be? I know everyone probably does it a little differently but advise from those that know what they are talking about is priceless![​IMG]

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have never used paper towels, old wash towels are a better idea, they won't slip on them...make it 1/2" maybe, they love to scratch around and play in it... ialso put small branches in there, they will roost almost immediately, it's so cute!

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    First picture - top 2 are pullets, bottom one is a cockerel. Can't see the coloring properly on the 2nd picture. (distorted coloring from the heat lamp)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by