Boy's or girl's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stefzbiz, Dec 11, 2011.

1. stefzbiz

stefzbiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Any ideas yet, the silky's are 10 weeks, hatch mates, the gray one stands tall and chest bumps and foot fences with another chicken the same age that I am sure is a roo. The orange one seems rather obvlious to everything and is more skittish--behavior wise they seem to be telling me, but I would like some other opinions [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and I think I have a male and female barred rock pair, the one further away is more silver, thicker legs and getting red in the face and has a comb-it does have a little black of the legs though..
    [​IMG]

unfortunatley I am in a very urban area, so unless I make quack- the gray one- an inside chicken- he will have to go to a friends farm, I love him, but I don't think inside would be much fun for him [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the first silkie looks to be a cockerel the 2nd i cant really tell and i think you might be correct on the br but i would wait a while longer though to be sure. had some with large combs and everything turn out to be girls. silkies are hard to tell til they crow but that 1st really looks like a male

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I think the first Silkie is probably a cockerel, especially with that comb at 10 weeks. Not sure on the second one. Silkies can be really hard to sex until it's flat out obvious.

The BR in the back doesn't seem too boyish yet. The color doesn't look really light enough to be a cockerel. One of my pullets is a light color like that. Yours has a bit of a comb, but my BR pullets had darker pink combs at 5 weeks. A lot of people said they would end up as cockerels, but they are all pullets.

4. stefzbiz

stefzbiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Thanks for the input everyone!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by