Boys or Girls?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Vaca Peahen, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Vaca Peahen

Vaca Peahen New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Hi,

I am new to the forum and peacocks. A mama and her 2 babies showed up at our ranch about 3 months ago. The babies were teeny-tiny and I fully expected them to not make it, but mama is a good mama and they are still with us. It's pretty quiet here, so I guess they like it. Mama is pretty comfortable with me getting fairly close to her so she must of been penned at some time? There is no one within hearing distance that have peacocks, so I don't know where they came from. Ok, enough of my book.....
    My question....boys or girls? What breed ? Both babies look exactly alike.
    I have been reading most of the threads, and haven't seen any that look like these. Thanks ! Mama...her neck is a very vibrant emerald green.
    [​IMG]
    Baby
    [​IMG]
    Thanks !!

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Very pretty!

3. BYC-user-174785

BYC-user-174785 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    [​IMG]

4. Baby is a girl. Looks IB but might have some green blood in there. Chick also looks like a split bronze chick but it may just have a lot of dark color left.

5. Vaca Peahen

Vaca Peahen New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Thanks everyone ! :)

Now to read more on different colors.

We are also planning to build a large pen for them for safety. I am worried about winter. They sleep right now in a tree over my house, but it will lose it's leaves and they won't have any shelter. Well, they could go into one of the many barns, which they do now, but don't stay in there. (which is where we plan to build the coop and attach the pen to the outside)

in the pictures, they are in our gardening shed. (which is why it is such a mess...LOL) Oddly enough, they seem to like it in there. It gets waaaay to hot in there or else we'd just attach the pen to it.

I am really enjoying them....even the "hoots".
    We do have chickens that are penned up, but they are really old ( around 10 yrs ) and are just pets now.

Thanks again ! Sue :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by