Boys or girls?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TRChickenRanch, Nov 4, 2013.

1. TRChickenRanch

TRChickenRanch Out Of The Brooder

We have a flock of various breeds & are now trying to figure out if they are make or female. They are about 12 - 14 weeks old.
    Any suggestions on what to look for before they get older & it becomes obvious?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You could post some pictures, and many people on her (including me) would be happy to help out! [​IMG] However, you can also try to figure it out on your own. By twelve weeks old, you should be able to at least have a good idea of the gender. Males will have redder, larger combs, while females' combs will be paler and often smaller. At this age, you may even be able to see the beginnings of pointy hackle and saddle feathers coming in (males have pointed neck feathers, females don't, and males have saddle feathers, which are longer, thinner feathers near the base of the tail). Males often have thicker legs and a more upright stance. In multi-colored breeds, males tend to develop blotchy coloring and red coloring on the wings.

3. TRChickenRanch

TRChickenRanch Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]
    This is Pattie and her sister..... I hope.......
    I am guessing both of these are hens, can you tell from the photo if I'm right or not.
    Can someone also tell me what kind of chickens they are?

Thanks

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure on the gender, but they look like Light Brahmas. I don't see any obvious rooster characteristics, but Brahmas can be slow to mature. Post some more photos in a few weeks for another opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by