boys or girls??

heather03

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 29, 2013
I have 2 little chicks. They are 2 months old. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if they are boys or girls. Thanks!

I am not sure, but could you get closer pictures of their back? That would help with identification. Also,
welcome-byc.gif
!

It looks 2 females. If you could get some shots of the primary wing feathers that will help a ton and be able to have a definite set answer. Primary wing feathers are the one thing that you can sex a peachick on without steering you wrong unless it's a white peafowl then don't sex it by the primary wing feathers. Now I understand an Indian Blue Pied isn't completely like an Indian Blue but when it comes to colored primary wing feathers you can sex them the same way. Here are my 2 peachicks, the male is on the left and the female is on the right. Male 5 months old, female 4 months old. Realize how the male's primary wing feathers are a bright orange like an adult male Indian Blue while the female has a dark chocolate brown feathers like an adult Indian Blue peahen.

Girl definitely. How I learned how to sex peafowl was experience and by looking at pictures since I research peafowl so much. The primary wing feathers remain the same color through their entire life. I tried sexing a peachick by the barring on the wing, I was thinking it was a male but it turned out to be a female. Secondary wing feathers change like almost every time the peachick molts. Sometimes it stays the same but the primary wing feathers is the best way to sex a peachick. With that method you can sex them when they are a day old. When it comes to white peachicks the female is a dark yellow while the male is a bright yellow or white. Here's a picture of the wings on my Indian Blue Pied peachicks and you can definitely tell the one on the left is a male while the one on the right is a female looking at the primary wing feathers. The orange primary feathers is just like an adult Indian Blue peacock while the the female on the right has dark brown primary wing feathers like an adult Indian Blue peahen.

Have you ever gotten confirmed results with your sexing method for whites? That seems like it is not as reliable. While it can work to sex my the flight feathers with India Blues and their patterns, other peafowl are not so easy at that young of an age. But I do think it is two girls as well.

That's the sexing method I have used to help one of my friends sex their white peachicks work and she had 5 of them and the method worked. That's why I just think it's pretty safe to say it works though I've seen it when the hen is yellow but it's a little lighter than usual and that can trick people too. Also I kept looking at white peachick pictures from the same clutch and that's just something I would realize in similarity with white peachicks I've sexed before. You just got to know what to look for mostly. Once you sex peachicks for a while you can take one tiny look and get it right after doing it so much because you know what you're looking for.

I can believe that. So far I've only sexed Indian Blue, White, Silver Pied, and Pied. I think a tough one that I will probably face in the future is young Blackshoulder peachicks. I know when they are older there is a great difference but when very young like a week I don't know. I'm trying to figure out how sex other peachick varieties and share my methods with everybody. The reason why I'm trying to achieve this is because everybody I know in person doesn't know how to sex peachicks that have them. Hatcheries I talk to say they don't know how so I'm trying to help the people with that. Also another reason is so people don't have to spend $ on DNA tests to figure out on what the sexes are.

Back
Top Bottom