1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

boys too big for girls?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sueandthe6, Mar 14, 2015.

1. sueandthe6

sueandthe6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    southeast Pa
    I have 2 leghorns, 2 buff orpingtons, a cochin, a red something...smallish like the leghorns, a black mutt similar in size to the leghorns and a brahma -all hens. last fall I brought home two 3 week old chicks that were supposed to be a pair of marans. Turned out to be two partridge cochin roos-which wasnt all bad cause I have a partridge hen. So I figured Id keep one for sure and go from there. They matured late which I discovered is normal and now i am concerned about my smaller girls. The boys jsut started crowing and mounting the girls- and they are twice the size of the leghorns, and the other two smaller girls. Should i be concerned that they might hurt them when breeding? The black mutt girl and the brahma were pitching a fit when the roo grabbed them. The brahma at least is of similar size and I would imagine can somewhat deal with the weight of the boy- but the smaller girls are dwarfed. I don't NEED to keep the boys- I was kind of excited to possibly hatch some of my own eggs but if its a risk to the girls then the boys will find new homes-stew pot or otherwise. They are nice boys- but if I cant find homes- I don't want to endanger the girls.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    When your girls develop broken legs or hips, then get rid of boys. But it may not happen and all will be one happy family. WISHING YOU BEST.
    [​IMG]

3. sueandthe6

sueandthe6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    southeast Pa
    don't want broken legs or hips...if that is a real risk- I would rather forego hatching my own eggs and rehome the roos now. I dealt with a very nasty roo who became dog food, and have two barred rocks now in a different area on my property that are a bit over zealous when I feed them and these cochin boys are quite a nice change of pace as far as personality but my girls come first.

4. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    They will be fine. I have full grown large fowl roosters who mate with bantams with no problem. So long as the hen doesn't resist, there is no real danger. Cavemanrich was teasing about the broken limbs.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by