1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BPR or Dom?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nes, Jul 4, 2011.

1. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Noticed over the last few days they don't have the required yellow feet for BPRs...
    (which is what they are supposed to be)

[​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Check the comb. If it's a rose comb than it's a dominique, if it's a single comb it's a barred rock. [​IMG] Good luck!

3. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Pink legs usually mean Cuckoo Marans but hatchery stock does not conform to breed standards so they may just be pink legged BPRs (aka BRs)

4. nes

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Single combs [​IMG]
    (I think)

[​IMG]

Thanks guys!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  5. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Quote:So now I think your options are cuckoo marans(wouldn't they have feathered feet?) or hatchery quality barred rocks.

6. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Hatchery quality BR's definitely, or some cross breed. [​IMG][​IMG]

If they are BRs, I see a possible rooster, his coloring is lighter and has a good red comb. The others all have yellow combs.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  7. nes

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Khatar - yes I have one DEFINITE rooster & the rest are either being a little coy or are hens.

He's a bit of a jerk [​IMG]

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Those are very adorable pink legs. Hatchery quality Barred Rocks tend to have black on their legs, not pink. My guess is that you have Cuckoo Marans.

Congrats! I see one definite roo as well!

9. nes

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Quote:They did have very black little legs, but it's fading into pink. Now they just have a bit of black on the fronts of their legs.
    (which is why I was stilling thinking they were BPRs and we were going to get yellow come out under there, not so much!)

Thanks guys! It doesn't really matter what they are as long as they lay eggs & are cold hardy [​IMG].
    Glad they are a DP breed though, that's really want I want.

So now I have a Deleware & BPR hen, a dominique rooster, 1 cochin, and 6 cuckoo marans.... Interesting...

10. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Zaxby's2 :

So now I think your options are cuckoo marans(wouldn't they have feathered feet?)

Not all Marans have feathered feet. I believe just the French Marans have feathered feet.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by